FedEx Small Business Grant Contest FAQs
- 1. What is the FedEx Small Business Grant Contest?
- The FedEx Small Business Grant Contest is a grant program by FedEx to award ten (10) small businesses with grants up to $25,000 and up to $7,500 in FedEx Office print and business services. Refer to the Contest Rules for contest details.
- 2. What are the contest dates?
- The entry period for the contest is February 21, 2017–March 29, 2017.
The voting period is March 1, 2017–April 5, 2017. Top 100 finalists will be announced April 13, 2017. Top 10 winners will be announced April 25, 2017.
- 3. What are the contest rules?
- The contest rules can be found at fedex.com/grantcontest.
- 4. How many grants will be awarded?
There will be a total of ten (10) winners:
- Grand prize: One winner of $25,000, plus $7,500 in FedEx Office® print and business services
- Silver prize: One winner of $15,000, plus $5,000 in FedEx Office® print and business services
- Bronze prize: Eight winners of $7,500, plus $1,000 in FedEx Office® print and business services
- 5. I have a question/issue not answered in the FAQ topic areas. Who can I contact?
- You may send an email to email@example.com and someone will get back to you within 2 business days.
How to enter
- 1. Who may apply for the grant contest?
- Any for-profit small business in good standing that has been in continuous operation selling a product or service for no less than six (6) months and has 99 or fewer employees is eligible to enter the contest. Refer to the Contest Rules for full eligibility.
- 2. Is a non-profit eligible for the contest?
- Non-profits are not eligible to enter the contest. Please refer to the eligibility section of the Contest Rules for more information. http://smallbusinessgrant.fedex.com/home/rules
- 3. Is an online-only business eligible for the contest?
- Yes, any for-profit small business in good standing that has been in continuous operation selling a product or service for no less than six (6) months at the start of the contest and has 99 or fewer employees is eligible to enter the contest.
- 1. How do I enter my business into the contest?
- To enter the FedEx Small Business Grant Contest, go to fedex.com/grantcontest to create your contest profile by submitting the required entry information. Your contest profile will require you to upload four images that represent your business, with one (1) of those images being your business logo. Additionally, you will have to answer a few brief questions that helps FedEx and voters get to know you, your business and why you should receive a grant. You may also upload an optional 90-second video about your business.
- 2. Do I need to have a FedEx account to enter the contest?
- No, a FedEx account is not required to enter the contest.
- 3. What things will I need to have to enter the contest?
The following things will be necessary to enter the contest and create a contest profile:
- Business name, contact name, address, etc.
- A website for your business
Provide responses to the following:
- Give us your “elevator pitch”: what you do, what you sell, service you offer, etc. (140 character limit including spaces)
- Tell us about your business: what inspired you to get into it, what makes your business stand out and how it impacts you, your community or environment. (500 character limit including spaces)
- How you would use the FedEx Small Business Grant Contest money to make a significant impact on your business? (500 character limit including spaces)
- Up to 4 images of your business or product (1 image must be your logo), not to exceed 5MB each and must be in one of the following photo formats: .jpg, .png, .gif.
- While not required, you may also upload an approximate 90-second video with your “elevator speech” about your business; simply upload your video to YouTube and input your link into the entry form. *Note, the video must be publicly available on YouTube to be viewable for the contest.
- It is recommended to create your responses in advance in a format that allows you to take your time creating it.
- Supported browsers include the latest versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox and IE9 and above.
- 4. Can I start my entry and finish it at a later time?
- No, you will need to complete your entry at the time you start it. There isn’t a way to come back to it later. You will be able to edit your information before you submit it during the entry process.
- 5. Is there a deadline for entering the contest?
- The deadline to enter the contest is March 29, 2017 at 11:59:59 EST.
- 6. How will I know if my contest profile has been created (I don’t see my contest profile)?
- FedEx will review each entry within 2–4 business days to ensure validity and appropriateness before approving the entry to appear in the contest gallery and voting application. You should expect an email notice either confirming your acceptance into the contest or notifying you that your entry has been denied within 2–4 business days of submitting. This email will come from FedEx so be sure to check your spam/junk folder in case it gets sent there by mistake. The email will contain the URL for your contest profile that you can use to publish during the voting period.
- 1. When does voting begin?
- The voting period is March 1, 2017–April 5, 2017.
- 2. How does the voting work for the contest?
- You can vote for any business in the contest at fedex.com/grantcontest by viewing the gallery for your favorite business and clicking on the “vote” button. You will be required to use your email address and properly answer the Captcha question to cast your vote. Voting is limited to once per 24 hour period. The number of votes received will be shown on the contest profile. Voters can share their vote via social media as well.
- 3. Who can vote for a business entered into the contest?
- Anyone with a valid email address can vote for any business in the contest regardless of whether they are in the business's local community.
- 4. Where do I send my customers to vote for my business?
There are a few easy ways:
- Share your contest profile through social media and via email and they will be directed to the contest at fedex.com/grantcontest. The “vote” button will be displayed on your specific contest profile.
- Entrants will be provided a “voting badge” (found on the contest profile) to place on your website about your participation in the contest that will direct your fans to your contest profile to vote. This badge is html code that you can place anywhere you choose on your website.
- Find a business in the contest gallery at fedex.com/grantcontest, click on Vote now, enter email address and properly answer the Captcha question.
- 5. What are requirements to vote for a business in the contest?
- A valid email address and proper answering of the Captcha question presented.
- 6. What is Captcha and why is it required?
- Captcha is a method used to provide an additional level of security to prevent fraudulent voting and enforce the rule of one vote per 24 hour period.
- 7. Where can I see a list of businesses entered into the contest?
- Businesses in the contest can be viewed at fedex.com/grantcontest. You can search by business name, city or state as well as business type.
- 1. How will the winners be selected?
A selection committee within FedEx will use the following elements to choose finalists:
- Votes received
- Clear, compelling and engaging essay answers/video
- How the grant money would be used
- Social presence to develop your brand voice, including use of visuals, cohesiveness, humor, engagement, uniqueness
- Website ease of navigation, ease of product ordering (if applicable)
- Uniqueness or innovative
- Sustainability or environmentally friendly component
- Positive impact on community
- How well the entrant's brand aligns with the FedEx brand
- Whether the small-business owner is prepared to be a small-business ambassador or mentor to other small businesses
- A second question will be emailed to those reaching the top 100 and a response in the form of a video will be due by 11pm EST on April 17, 2017. Finalists not submitting a video by the cut off time will not be considered for further evaluation. This video along with the entrant’s original submission will be used to determine the Top 10 Winners.
- The FedEx Entrepreneur Advisory Board (a group of past grant winners and finalists) will also select one (1) winner as the Alumni Choice Award using the same criteria identified above. The Alumni Choice Award will be one of the eight Bronze Level $7,500 grants awarded.
- 2. When will winners be announced?
- The Top 100 will be announced on April 13, 2017. The final ten (10) winners will be announced on April 25, 2017.
- 3. How will winners be notified?
- Grant winners will be notified by email and/or by phone using the contact information provided at entry. Winners may also be announced on the FedEx Small Business Grant Contest website, in FedEx social media channels and in a FedEx media release.